Thursday, January 13, 2005

In Defense of Celebrity Musicians

As you probably know, three actors recently joined the ranks of "celebrities turned singer/musician." These people are: Minnie Driver, Robert Downey Jr., and Kevin Spacey.

This blog entry will not knock them. I haven't heard any of the aforementioned actors sing or play music. But I have read a few reviews in the local papers; some quite scathing.

When we hear that a certain celebrity has decided to make music, our kneejerk reaction is usually: cringe.

Why is that? I think we should give these people some credit, because they have balls of steel going out there on a limb. They give snarky reporters a reason to sharpen their claws. The result is usually ugly. Which is so unfortunate.

Why are we (and by we, I mean the general public) so quick to peg people? Oh, he's an actor. She's a writer. He's a musician. She's a painter. Period, end of story. I've known a lot of creative people, and they're often all over the map. They might be known for one thing -- or perhaps they made a choice to concentrate on one thing -- but that is usually not the sum of their talent or interests.

William Shatner is in a class by himself. I haven't heard his new album, but I understand that it is deliciously kitschy. Although it is spoken more than sung, so perhaps it doesn't fit into this category.

Have you heard how beautifully Antonio Bandaras plays classical Spanish guitar? Somehow that didn't surprise me.

Dogstar produced some nice songs. (I expect loads of flames for that last sentence, so go ahead, flame away). I tip my hat to Keanu Reeves -- who is a self-taught bassist -- for getting up on stage (and into the studio) where the critics could tear him apart. Lord knows it would scare the living shit out of me.

Minnie Driver recently preformed here in San Francisco. She did a concert of songs she wrote and composed herself. That took tremendous guts.

I don't know much about Kevin Bacon's band, but I've seen footage. Looks like he's having fun.

And isn't that what it's all about with these people?

Most of these celebrities aren't trying to re-invent themselves as musicians, or even compete with "serious musicians". I'm sure none of them fancies themselves the next Steve Vai or David Byrne or Alainis Morisette. They're merely branching out creatively; having some fun.

If an actor's music is truly horrible, let's hope that his/her publicist, manager, or best friend finds a way to quietly stage an intervention. But if not -- I say, live and let live.

After all, who are they hurting, anyway?

No comments: