Friday, January 14, 2005

Sex and the Suburbs

Image Hosted by ImageShack.usI want a friend like Samantha.

You know, the character from Sex and the City.

Nevermind that she's a fictional character. In fact, I like her better for it.


My friends and I never talk about sex. And there's a reason for this. My friends are mostly 40-something women who are married with children. Married women in their 40's usually talk about things like how much homework the kids have, or how they remodeled their kitchens. Why talk about sex when you can get the scoop on the best place for granite countertops? Single 20-somethings, take note: Get it now. Get it while you can. Spend your free time with wild abandon. We envy you.

But I digress. I want to talk about Samantha. She's such a nympho. And it's so -- refreshing.

I don't know anyone like her, but I wish I did. Someone to give expert advice on lingerie and bedroom toys. Someone who's been in the trenches. Imagine talking lubes while sipping lattes at Starbucks one balmy morning. It would be so liberating.


What amazes me about Samantha is that she's always on the prowl. Come to think of it, it would be a very one-sided friendship. Twenty years of monogamy doesn't make for a lot of tall tales. And once you're married, you tend to -- well -- not want to talk about it with other people. Because you're talking about your spouse. There's something sacred about that; a line that shouldn't be crossed. It's written between the lines of your marriage vows: love, honor, and keep your inner freak to yourself from now on. Because things could get a little weird at the Christmas party if you don't.


What if Sex and the City had progressed up to -- say -- season 12, and the four women were all married with kids? You know what? No more Sunday brunches filled with all the wild details. Nope. Carrie, Miranda, Samantha, and Charlotte would be part of my world: The Exhausted (But Happy Don't Get Me Wrong) Soccer Mom's Club.


I guess that's part of life's natural progression.

But once in a while, I wish I had a friend like Samantha. Just to mix things up.



No comments: